Friday, April 5, 2013

Coat and Shoe Organization

Happy Friday!

I am so glad that the week is over.  It is so hard getting back in the groove after a week off.  The end of last week was horrid because our house was overrun with the stomach flu and general cold bugs!  Both, BOTH, of the little ones got the stomach flu ON THE SAME DAY!  and then Daughter couldn't seem to get better and then I got a bad head cold that, even though I feel better today, it is still making me want to just go to bed.

I just had a lovely evening with all my gal pals.  And since I picked up the house in preparation for their arrival and with the start of warm weather, I thought that I would share the boot/coat solution I was telling you about.

Before:  We use the garage to enter and exit the house.  That is where the cars are and the most convenient door.  The coat closet is by the half bath - the whole length of the house away.  So, when we enter the house all the shoes and coats and hats and gloves and .... all go near the garage door.  OK, only one problem, this is in my kitchen!  No mudroom!  No small hallway! Just the kitchen. 

We had a temporary solution with a small set of hooks for the kids coats and a basket for their shoes.  There was a desk also in the kitchen that we do not really use as a desk so big shoes went under there.  This arrangement was fine for a while.  Then we added the backpacks!  And a second set of little shoes and boots and then come the hats and mittens and snowsuits.  So.............

The solution: 

My wonder of a husband built me the bench and it was painted a nice semi-gloss white.  I covered a piece of foam with some nice durable fabric and attached it to the bench.  Add corner round for a built-in look and TA DA.  Mud room in 2 feet of space.

The Art wall is to the right in the picture!  Little shoes go in one of the baskets and hats and stuff go in the other.  My work and running shoes go in the bottom sections.  And Husband's shoes are too big for anything so they are still under the desk, but one pair is better than six.


Here is a close up of the bench.  It is sturdy and give the kids a place to sit, instead of the dirty rug that keeps the dirt down in the rest of the house.

There is more to the kitchen organizational project coming!  Next up:  Command center!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment